City & Guilds
Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
A refresher only course for personal licence holders who need to renew their licence.
Why take this course?
If your personal licence was issued on or before 1 September 2009 this applies to you and you need to act now!
Personal Licence Holders have a vital job within the licensed trade. They authorise the sale of alcohol in both on and off sales businesses and ensure that each and every sale is legal. This is a considerable responsibility and, as such, Personal Licence Holders have two important obligations:
- They must undergo refresher training every 5 years to refresh their knowledge of the licensing regime, and send the training certificate to the relevant Licensing Board; AND
- They must apply to renew their personal licence every ten years, and lodge the renewal application no later than 3 months before expiry date of the licence.
Once candidates have booked onto this course, they must download a copy of the City & Guilds Personal Licence Holder’s Guide. Candidates will be expected to complete pre-course reading prior to attending the course.
The absolute deadline for submitting a personal licence renewal application is 31 May 2019. So do not leave your refresher training until the last minute.
What you will experience
You will cover a range of important topics regarding laws, duties and responsibilities of personal licence holders. This will ensure your skills are refreshed and updated in line with legal requirements. At the end of the training, you will sit a multiple choice online exam which will give an instant result.
This refresher course is for Personal Licence Holders who need to re-new their licence in line with the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.
What you will need
Candidates must download a copy of the City & Guilds Personal Licence Holder’s Guide. Candidates will be expected to complete pre-course reading prior to attending the course. A hard copy of the Guide will be sent to candidates along with joining instructions approximately 5 working days before the course. However, in the meantime candidates should undertake pre-course reading using the electronic copy.
What you need to know
Once candidates have booked onto this course, they must download a copy of the City & Guilds Personal Licence Holder’s Guide. Candidates will be expected to complete pre-course reading prior to attending the course. A hard copy of the Guide will be sent to candidates along with joining instructions approximately 5 working days before the course. However, in the meantime candidates should undertake pre-course reading using the electronic copy.
Examination Requirements – Proof of Identification
It is the responsibility of the centre to confirm the identity of all candidates sitting the examination.
- The examination invigilator must be satisfied that the same person who is sitting the exam is the same person that was entered for the qualification.
- Centres must ensure that candidate identity is checked against one of the following forms of photographic identification:
- a photo card driving licence, or
- a valid passport, or
- a valid identity card from within the EU (Belgium Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, or Sweden, or
- a police warrant card, or
- a Security Industry Authority Card, or
- a Personal Licence, issued by a Scottish Licensing Board, or
- other forms of identification (such as a PASS Card, or Young Scot card) may be considered.
- Candidates must be informed within their joining instructions that they must bring a permitted form of identification.
- Candidates without an approved form of identification will not be permitted to sit the examination.
If you have any concerns relating to the acceptable forms of identification, please do not hesitate to contact is on 01224 612144 or email email@example.com.
For more information about job opportunities, salaries and employment rates in this industry, visit the Career Coach website.
Please note that timetabling changes can often occur after the Part-time Course Guide is published, and as a result the printed version of the guide may not hold the most up-to-date information.
We therefore advise you that all start dates and times listed on the website are at all times accurate, and should be used as your main point of reference before booking your course.
This course is currently unavailable. Please contact the Student Advice Centre for more information.
If you take up a place on a College course, at the start of the course you will be asked to sign an enrolment form. In signing the form and/or taking up a place on a College course, you will enter into a contract with the College and be bound by the North East Scotland College Standard Terms and Conditions of Study. Copies of the Terms and Conditions are available for inspection on notice boards and at various locations throughout the College, at the College Reception, on the College website: www.nescol.ac.uk, or can be obtained on request from the Student Funding and Admissions Manager, North East Scotland College, Aberdeen City Campus, Gallowgate, Aberdeen AB25 1BN. Please note that courses are offered subject to (a) there being sufficient numbers of enrolments and (b) the availability of resources. The College reserves its right (i) not to run courses where the number of students is considered insufficient or where resources are unavailable and (ii) in certain circumstances, to refuse admission to an individual applicant.