City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in
SCQF Level 4
Build the fundamental skills required to pursue further training or employment in the beauty sector.
Why take this course?
Beauty therapy is a well-established industry with a number of qualifications available, including Vocational Related Qualifications (VRQs) and Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs).
By completing this course you will develop essential transferrable skills that are required for working in the service industries. You will also develop specific beauty therapy skills which will give you the opportunity to undertake further training and qualifications after leaving school, or to pursue employment opportunities. During the course you will:
- Build a broad base of knowledge, skills and understanding related to the beauty therapy industry;
- Develop an awareness of health and safety issues relevant to a range of activities;
- Develop your communication and customer care skills
- Develop your interpersonal skills;
- Build technical knowledge and skills in relation to working within the industry;
- Develop good practice in maintaining a tidy and safe work environment;
- Prepare for further learning, training and employment opportunities in the beauty therapy sector.
What you will experience
The course is made up of the following five units:
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
- Presenting a Professional Image in the Salon
- Skin Care
- Hand Care
- Create an Image Using Colour for the Hair and Beauty Sector
Some of the topics you will learn about include personal presentation, customer care, skin analysis, facials, hand care treatments and basic manicure skills.You will experience a variety of learning methods and activities, which will include classroom-based theory lessons, and hands-on practical salon experience. You will be taught in salons and classrooms at College.
Throughout the course you will be offered an opportunity to review and identify how your skills are developing. You will be expected to demonstrate:
- Good time keeping skills;
- A willingness to learn;
- A knowledge of appropriate dress;
- An ability to work independently;
- Planning and preparation skills;
- Customer Care;
- An ability to establish/maintain good working relationships with others;
- Problem solving skills.
To achieve the full qualification, you must attend regularly and successfully complete all units. Assessments will be based on a range of practical activities (in real or simulated settings) and assessors will observe you as you undertake each activity. You will also complete some research tasks, and short written assessments.
Please note that some assessments may require you to bring along a client aged 16 or over. On successful completion of the full group award you will receive a City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
What you will need
Whilst you are taking part in the course you will be required to provide and wear a specified tunic, black dress trousers and non-slip enclosed shoes.
Please note that some assessments may require you to bring along a client aged 16 or over.
What you need to know
Whilst you are taking part in the course you will be required to:
- Remove piercings and occasionally already applied make-up;
- Always be ready to start your class at the given time;
- Adhere to the School Pupils Code of Commitment.
The removal of all piercings is for health and safety reasons. This is an industry standard that all students are expected to abide by in order to successfully achieve. This should be kept in mind if planning any new piercings.
Please note that eating and drinking is not permitted in the salons or classrooms. Drinking water is available from water dispensers in the corridors within the College buildings.
At North East Scotland College
Upon successful completion of this course, you could consider Modern Apprenticeship opportunities or may be able to progress to the following full-time course at North East Scotland College:
If you wish to progress directly to employment on successful completion of this course, a range of entry-level job opportunities will be available within the beauty therapy sector.
The following infographic provides information on current and projected employment trends in this sector, within Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire. Follow the link on the infographic to view a larger image.
For more information about job opportunities, salaries and employment rates in this industry, visit the Career Coach website.
Please note that courses are subject to minimum viability levels. In the event of insufficient numbers of applications, courses may be withdrawn from the programme. Certain courses are arranged with schools working in a consortium arrangement – in such cases, pupils from consortium schools will be given priority in the allocation of places.