Funding for Part-time Students

This page covers general information about the funding available to students undertaking a part-time course at North East Scotland College. A lot of the information on offer will depend on your individual situation, so if you have any questions after reading the following funding information, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Tuition Fees

A fee is payable for those enrolling on a part-time course. You will find information on these fees in our Part-time Course Guide or you can contact the Student Advice Centre for more information.

Remission of Fees

Remission of Fees can be arranged, meaning you will not have to pay any tuition providing you fall in to one of the following categories:

  1. You or your family is in receipt of:
    • Income Support
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Pension Credit
    • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Housing Benefit
    • Universal Credit
  2. You are in receipt of:
    • Carer's Allowance (or carers who have an 'underlying entitlement' to Carer's allowance but gave up the allowance to, for example, claim their pension), Carer's Allowance Supplement or the Young Carer's Grant
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit
    • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance (this also includes people whose contributory ESA has ended due to the time–limited nature of this benefit, but who remain entitled to NI credits for incapacity)
    • Personal Independence Payment
  3. The taxable income of your family for previous financial Tax Year (2018–19) was equivalent to or below:
    • £8,282 for households consisting of only one person
    • £12,395 for households consisting of a couple with no children
    • £18,977 for households with dependent children
  4. You are an asylum seeker or the spouse or child of an asylum seeker
  5. You are in the care of the Local Authority or are living in a foster home or children's home

Please note that because places are limited, you are advised to apply for Remission of Fees under this section, well in advance of the course start date.

How to Claim Remission of Fees

You must provide an appropriate document confirming your family’s circumstances or complete a Part-Time Funding Application Form before you enrol on the course. Please note that if you are studying full-time at North East Scotland College you have no entitlement to have the fee remitted for any part-time course you undertake.

What if I am claiming Jobseeker's Allowance?

Students claiming Jobseeker's Allowance who intend to study part-time at the College are advised to consult their Adviser at Jobcentre Plus.

Back to top

Alternative Sources of Funding

Students on Higher Education Advanced Courses

Fee Grant

A part-time free grant may be available if you are undertaking a part-time course at HNC or HND level which consists of between 30 - 119 credits. This can also apply to Open Learning courses. Applications should be made directly to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and if your application is successful they will pay the grant directly to the College.

Visit the SAAS website for more details on fee grants and to download an application form

HE Discretionary Fund

Assistance from the HE Discretionary Fund (for help with course materials and travel costs) may be available to those undertaking studies at HNC or HND level.

If you wish to meet with a Student Adviser to discuss eligibility, please contact the Student Advice Centre to arrange an appointment.

Students on Further Education Non-Advanced Courses


For those undertaking study at a non-advanced level (below HNC or HND) who have qualified for Remission of Fees, there may be an option to apply for the award of a Bursary for the College to address the cost of necessary course materials and travel. Application forms can be obtained from the Student Advice Centre.

If you wish to meet with a Student Adviser to discuss eligibility, please contact the Student Advice Centre to arrange an appointment.

FE Discretionary Fund

If the course you are undertaking is at non-advanced level (below HNC) then you may be considered for financial assistance from the FE Discretionary Fund. You will however be required firstly to apply for a Bursary to cover course materials and travel costs.

Any application for help from Discretionary Funds is not guaranteed to be successful, and you must initially meet with a Student Adviser to discuss eligibility. Please contact the Student Advice Centre to arrange an appointment.

Childcare Fund

The College may be able to assist with the cost of registered childcare incurred by you in undertaking part-time studies. The conditions which apply vary depending on the level of study which you undertake, and there is no absolute guarantee that assistance will be provided. Please check for eligibility with our Student Advice Centre.

Individual Training Accounts (ITAs)

Individual Training Accounts (ITAs) have replaced what were previously Individual Learning Accounts (ILAs). The scheme means that you could receive up to £200 towards a single course or training episode per year.

New applicants are encouraged to apply as there are a limited number available.

Back to top


On the 1 February 2018, the Scottish Government made a commitment to eligible EU nationals commencing their studies in academic year 2019–2020 that they will continue to receive student support.

More information for EU National students can be found on the SAAS website

Back to top


If you have any questions about applying for a part-time course, please email or call 01224 612330.

If you would like to talk with a student adviser to discuss eligibility, you can contact the team directly by dropping into your local Student Advice Centre, by emailing, or by phoning them on:

Aberdeen Altens

01224 612704

Aberdeen City

01224 612284


01346 586129

Back to top