Professional catering and hospitality is an exciting, fast-paced sector to work in. North East Scotland College offer a range of industry focused courses which allow students to gain expert training in the preparation and serving of food. This ensures an in-depth understanding of the industry, how it works and what to expect.
Catering and hospitality courses run at the Aberdeen City and Fraserburgh Campuses, and each has top-of-the-range equipment and resources available – so whether you’re rustling up something delicious in one of our production kitchens or aligning the dinner plates and wine glasses for a formal function in one of our training restaurants, you’ll be learning by doing and developing essential professional skills in preparation for employment.
Our Aberdeen City Campus and our Fraserburgh Campus possess multiple large kitchens, giving our catering and hospitality students the chance to really get to grips with using a range of different cooking equipment, refining key preparation techniques and the learning about the correct storage of foods.
In our Aberdeen City Campus you’ll find:
- Gate 63 Restaurant
- Large production kitchen, linked with the Gate 63 training restaurant
- Two training kitchens, each taking up to 16 students at a time - all have access to their own chopping boards, knives, pots, pans and other essential equipment
- Domestic-setting kitchens often used for smaller classes
- Fully equipped Bakery
- Quick Byte - The Quick Byte cooks work closely with the Learning Development Centre, meaning students can come in and work in the kitchen to help prepare the food. You can sit in or take away too, meaning that Quick Byte is a fantastic place to go for a delicious, hot meal.
In our Fraserburgh Campus you’ll find:
- The Wallace Restaurant – a large, stylish restaurant area where students are taught about formal service and fine dining
- Large production kitchen, linked with the Wallace training restaurant
- Bressuire Bistro - a smaller kitchen and seating area where students are taught a different style of service than that of the more formal restaurant
- Reception area where speciality coffees and snacks are served on selected days during term
- A preparation and training kitchen, taking up to 12 students at a time
- Domestic-setting kitchen often used for smaller classes and demonstrations
Both the Wallace Restaurant and the Bistro seating area can be doubled up for larger themed events.
Across the catering facilities at North East Scotland College the meat, fish, dairy and vegetables used are sourced from suppliers in Aberdeen City and Shire. Game is sourced from our supplier in Aberdeen or Kilmarnock and dry goods are sourced from a national supplier based in Scotland.
Our kitchens have everything from ice cream makers to giant mixers and combi ovens. Students have their own access to chopping boards, knives, pots, pans and all other essential equipment, and we even have wireless digital equipment, including wall-mounted screens and cameras in our Aberdeen City Campus. Gate 63 has a live kitchen camera and screen, meaning that clients and lecturers can watch in wonder as their food is prepared!
Gate 63 Restaurant
Gate 63 is the training restaurant based in our Aberdeen City Campus. It has a spacious and modern design that makes for a very comfortable social environment, whilst effectively operating as an... Find out more
Quick Byte is a great place for staff, students and external visitors to grab a delicious hot meal for only £3.50. You also have the option to sit in and relax, or take away.
The best thing... Find out more
The Wallace Restaurant
The Wallace Restaurant is an outstanding training facility in which our students can develop their cooking and hospitality skills in a realistic working environment. It was named in memory of... Find out more